Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesday, 31 October


We started the day with a class discussion where I shared some of my frustrations from yesterday's clean-up at 2:45.  We also talked about the Sugar Bowl and how some students had committed to going, but appeared now to be pulling out.  I explained the importance of fulfilling such commitments especially when others have made complex logistical arrangements such as organizing bussing and a concession stand.  I also spoke to what for me is a big button and that is a perception that some are displaying a sense of entitlement.  I have felt that there are some in class who expect certain things to be given to them.  I explained that my role is to teach the curriculum and that while extended experiences are a valuable part of school life, they should not be thought of as being owed by the teacher, even if that is the way things were in the past.  I also cleared up some misperceptions about things I had or had not said.  For example:

1. "You said you would never go to Whistler."  True.  I said that I would consider instead doing some snowshoeing at Dakota Ridge, or perhaps an overnight trip to one of the cabins in Tetrahedron Provincial Park.  If that happens, I would not take the whole class at once but break it into two separate trips (this is a risk-management necessity).  I would not take students who I deemed to be at risk of acting unsafely, or students whose classroom behaviour was such that I couldn't trust them to follow directions.  This would depend of parents with four-wheel-drive vehicles being able to drive, and having another outdoor leader come along (one has tentatively expressed a willingness to do so).

2.  "You said we would never be going to Vancouver."  False.  I said that studying the Port of Vancouver is a part of the socials curriculum and as such would be something I would consider if there was adequate parental support in the form of chaperons.

3.  You said we would go kayaking, like renting kayaks from Peddles and Paddles." False.  I said I was a qualified canoe instructor (with the Army Cadets) and ran multi-day canoe trips at Pender Secondary in my outdoor education course.  I said that I have access to eight canoes from the army cadets and would consider doing some canoe training with the class.

However, right now, because of my feelings about the attitude and/or poor behaviour that is being demonstrated by too many in class, I have no desire to plan or execute a field trip.  That could change quickly if my perception is changed.  I am aware that a significant number of students who are consistently on-task, courteous and hard workers are being impacted and I would consider providing them special consideration if the class as a whole cannot move forward.

At 09:30, Kiah orchestrated the set-up of the halloween Fun Fair.  I was very impressed with the energy that everyone showed.  Kiah deserves a pat on the back: she fought for the privilege  to have a fair, took on the bulk of the initial planning, and facilitated the meetings that the others students attended for the station planning.  Those of you who ran stations also deserve praise.  Finally, parents deserve thanks for providing prizes and other support. The staff had nothing but praise for the way everything was handled.

After lunch we spent a short time cleaning the gym and then we had an extended art lesson with Joanna.  Most of the class did a good job getting their work done, and the clean up was smoother than in the past.  There is still room for improvement.  I'd like to see everyone helping until everything is done rather than some cleaning their personal space and then chatting with their peers.  We ended with a very short game of "every one's it tag."  I was running pretty hard and was quite breathless by the end.  It was a nice way to end a very productive day.

- Don't forget the science experiments are due Friday morning.
- The students who wish to re-write their math tests must complete the review/study package first - it's ready.  The re-test will be Monday.
-The next "action item" in art is a conte still-life portrait of a classmate.  Next week, Joanna and I will assess every one's art.  We need to see five still-lifes: 1) horn, 2) boat, 3), wooden model, 4) conte self-portrait, and 5) conte peer portrait.  We'll also be checking three warm-up pieces of your choice.  This will make up the fine art mark for this term - a band mark will come later.
- I also need at least two descriptive paragraphs for the writing mark (some are already done this).
- Next week we'll do the poetry assignment presentations (PowerPoints and poem readings) and have a short science test.

Here, again, is the experiment and the guide for writing a lab report.








No comments:

Post a Comment