Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday, 29 October

Today we began the day with French.  We practiced answering the question, "How are you?"  We also practiced the numbers from one to fifteen.  A great YouTube video to learn the numbers can be found via the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIWYKamyCY&feature=plcp . The website is called FrenchByPhone.com .

After French I gave a short introduction to the Legion's national essay/poetry/poster contest.  There are regional, provincial, and national winners.  The link is http://legion.ca/Poppy/contests_e.cfm .  At least one student has already started to compose a poem.  After that the class had Band with Mr. Grice.

After recess we had our unit math tests.  Students worked on w.h.y. (what-have-you) when they finished.









After lunch I introduced our first science experiment, involving yeast.  We discussed the different variables we could manipulate and the different questions we could try to answer in this exercise.  Next, we discussed the nature of a good question and how to develop our hypothesis.  We also looked at the nature of a lab report.  We ended by committing both our questions and hypotheses to the organizational work sheet. I've copied some of the reference pages from the text so you'll have them at home.  Remember, it is key to change only one variable in each experiment or else you won't know with certainty what is responsible for the outcomes.  The finished lab report must be in to me by Friday at the latest because I need time to get it on my report cards (that are due in to the office the following Friday).

We ended the day with "skittles," a game that Mia promoted as being fun.  I liked it, but I think next time I'll allow even more balls as a way to speed up the turn-over of players on the floor.  I saw lots of good hustling out there.  Here is a copy of the rubric I'm proposing for gym/field activities:

PLEASE BRING YOUR SUGAR BOWL FORMS AND $6 TO SCHOOL TOMORROW.  TIME IS RUNNING OUT.


No comments:

Post a Comment