Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thursday, 25 October

Today we began with our second text-based French lesson.  The students are not shy at all about speaking and because of this their accents continue to improve.  I try to use very little English during French and this is challenging, but because the students are willing, it doesn't seem to be frustrating for them.  We are taking small steps with lots of reenforcement of the things they have already learned.  Today we introduced "qu'est-ce que c'est?" (what is it?) and "qui est-ce? (who is it).  We also introduced the some letters in the alphabet (a, c, e, g, i, l, o, r, x) and their French pronunciation.  Finally, we were introduced to two new characters: Super Stylo and Galaxo.

Next, the class had band with Mr. Grice.

After recess both classes reviewed their math pre-tests.  We alternated back and forth, a few questions at a time, since both tests had so many similar components.  We'll finish that up tomorrow, and the real test will be on Monday.

After lunch we continued with our reading of "In Flanders Fields."  Eight students were confident enough to stand up and recite the poem in front of their peers.  We will select one or more student(s) to recite the poem at our Remembrance Day gathering on Friday, November 9th.  Next, I showed the class a music video of the Remembrance Day-inspired song "Soldiers Cry."  Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gRx8tWJmI&feature=related

There were some tears in today's audience.  I also find this selection very touching and it evokes strong emotions in me.





I then shared some of my experiences in the army (and those of my brother).  I tried to put a face to what it means to serve in the military and how sacrifices are made, even in peacetime.  I tried to make the students understand that the recruiting posters make life in the military seem action-filled and exciting, and sometimes it is, but I tried to tell of the other sides as well.  I'm proud of my service, but my goal is never to glamourize war.  Rather, I wish to help the students understand why it is we honour our nation's fallen on November 11th.  We will continue to visit this topic in the days leading up to Remembrance Day. We will each be doing research on some small piece of the story of the poem "In Flanders Fields." In this, we will also be looking at the topic in a global sense and bringing attention to the other casualties of war.

We ended the day with a game of outdoor soccer.  Did you know it is Take Your Class Outside Day today?  Thanks to Ms. Groves for making us all aware: here's the link: http://takemeoutside.ca/

On a side note, I was very impressed with the maturity and leadership shown by Nicholas and Noah today in their capacity as team captains.  Way to go guys.

Tomorrow we'll hear the final socials presentations so please be prepared if you're up.

Tomorrow is also the last day to bring in food hamper donations for the food bank.  Please try to remember, and give if you can.  




2 comments:

  1. I just called Wood's Showcase today. They just got more supplies and will put together a kit for Mr. Marshall's art class if you call them and then you can pick it up. It is going to be $10.60, you can add more to the basic kit if you want. They are open Sunday at 11. : ) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Pam. I hope everyone has a chance to make it to Wood's; I know they were short on supplies last weekend, so I'm glad they've had the chance to re-stock. I picked up three sets of supplies to fulfill any special circumstances, but the need on Wednesday was so great that they were all split up and distributed. I hope you will e-mail me confidentially if you have concerns about the supplies so I can address the situation.

    ReplyDelete