Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thursday, 22 November

These types of lessons are so easy with
the interactive whiteboard!




We started the day reconnecting to our cursive writing practice.  We have now confirmed the lower case letters from a to k.  My goal is to have all students fluent in cursive writing by the time they leave in June. As a secondary teacher I found it frustrating to have senior high students who couldn't read cursive writing.  This forced me to print since there wasn't time in the secondary curriculum to review this skill.

Frequently Misspelled Words

After writing practice we did our first spelling test.  At the beginning of the year I said I wouldn't have spelling tests, but I've since found that a number of students need support in this area, so we're starting with words "commonly misspelled" and will move on from there.  Today we tested column one (after an earlier pre-test) and now we'll review column two.  From spelling, the class moved to band.

Mid-unit review #1-2
Mid-unit review #3-5
Mid-unit review #7-8
Mid-unit review #6


Mid-unit review #9



After recess we had 15 minutes of reading and then started math.  In Math 7 we reviewed the homework from the mid-unit review and then learned how to use algebra tiles to subtract integers.  Everyone has quickly grasped how to use the interactive whiteboard and this has allowed me to get more students involved with the lessons, rather than having them sit passively at their desks.

We learned that if we subtract integers, it is sometimes necessary to add zero pairs to give us the opposite integer (positive or negative) so we can complete the operation.  We can do this because if we add zero to something, we do not change its value.  Its tricky, but just ask this: "Are there enough tiles of the type I'm being asked to subtract in the first integer in the equation.  If there aren't, add zero pairs until there are."  Complete #1-2 on page 69 for homework.  We'll do the rest in class tomorrow.

After lunch we read for ten minutes and then started a new socials unit on Egypt.  Some students studied Egypt last year, so I'm going to allow a level of independent/choice inquiry in this unit so that people can't say, "But we did this last year."

We read p. 86 and revisited the map on p. 87 of the text.  I also talked about the wealth of information on the Internet in general and on YouTube specifically.  I introduced the notion of bias and point of view, and how easy it is to publish matter on the Internet.  That means we "consumers" must be selective and wary of misinformation, whether it is by honest mistake or by design.  Here is a link to the video - we'll finish it in class but you may watch it if you were absent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV5MVbIRr8&feature=relmfu

Don't forget to post a comment or a question to the blog with reference to today's documentary - your post-viewing check-in showed you were all paying attention.  Good work and thanks for another good day.  Today is the last "early dismissal" day (but Monday is a pro-d day so you get a long weekend).


Thank you for sending all of the pennies.  We are off to a good start. Tomorrow is the last day to bring in pennies - please try to donate if you are able and haven't done so already.

22 comments:

  1. I want to know if he (Pharaoh Akhenaten) married his daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they had three warships a day for the sun god Ra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it weird that Akataban had had a wife and had married his daughters but he was also apparently thought to be a homosexual because he was thought to have married his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why he marred one or two of his daughters and mabey his son, I mean he is like a lord/king/god.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know what happend to pharaoh Akataban's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I found interesting was that the pharaoh Acanatan (I don't think thats how you spell his name) ruled the kingdom with Neffrititi (spelling?) for 4 years but then she went missing... so he married his daughters. Interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I forgot my math book at school so is it possible for a grade 7 with their text book to put Q 1-2 on the blog ? If not i can do it tomorrow morning.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the most intresting thing in that video was that they think the king or Akataban married his sister. I think this is the
    most interesting part because in Canada today marrying your sister is illegal and totally abnormal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was interesting that it turned out that (Akhenaten's sp?) religion failed.I also wanted to know what happened to his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the interesting that pharaoh Akataban (spelling?) possibly married one or both of his daughters. Also he was claimed to be homosexual for marrying his brother. It is interestering how now it is considered unatural and illegal to marry siblings and relatives but back then it was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good work you guys. It's interesting to me that most of you focused on the Hollywood-style relationship disfunction of Akhenaten as fodder for your comments. And you thought history is boring. There are lots of cooky characters in our collective past.

    Goldney, the Math 7 questions on p. 69 read like this:

    1. Use tiles to subtract. Draw pictures only of a) and b).

    a) (+7) - (+4)
    b) (-2) - (-2)
    c) (-9) - (-6)
    d) (+4) - (+2)
    e) (-8) - (-11)
    f) (+3) - ( +3)

    2. Use tiles to subtract; draw only a) and b).

    a) (-1) - (-4)
    b) (+3) - (+8)
    c) (-4) - (-11)
    d) (+7) - (+8)
    e) (-4) - (-6)
    f) (+1) - (+10)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that it's amazing that the Egyptians managed to hold up the huge ceiling's with only straw beams. why do the Egyptians still worship the hippopotamus after it killed the Egyptians pharaoh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found it interesting that
    - pharaoh (Akatabin) "however you spell his name" changed Egypt from worshiping many gods to only one.
    -His wife strangely disappeared.
    He married his daughters?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was interesting that akatban mite have married his daughters and he was Thought to be Homosexual because some people beloved that he had married his brother.
    I also wanted to know what happened too his wife, or how she died.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd like to know where Nephritis disappeared to. I also found it interesting how Aktaban (spelling?) possibly married a few of his daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. See my first comment on today's post for the correct spelling of Pharaoh Akhenaten's name. If in doubt, do a quick Google search.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found it very inerestiong that Acanatan (sp?)might have been the first homosextual. Also I would really like to find out what happened to his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if his condition is still active and if there a cure

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought it was strange that it was common for parents to marry their children.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found it interesting how Khufu (Was it him or his father?) had so many diseases.

    ReplyDelete