Saturday, June 29, 2013

One Last Post? Saturday, 29 June

First, here is a link to my farewell at the Grade 7 Leaving Ceremony: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eCaRKFw5pi5uF0m2zHvxlqM4kTIwd5JTNf9JxNOwoS4/edit

I had a long but happy day at school yesterday.  I thought I might feel melancholy as I packed up, but I didn't.  I did do much reflecting on the year as I was creating a sample folder of the grade 6s' writing for their next-year's teacher, and as I recycled old test sheets and packed up boxes, but I had a recurring feeling of satisfaction, not sadness.  I was also not sad at our little good-bye celebration for the 17 staff who are leaving the school this year.  Mr. Brown noted that I am the only one who left by choice: that sounds terrible, doesn't it.  I enjoyed the company of everyone on staff and have had moments of doubt about my decision to leave such a positive place.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my year at the Creek.  I have also appreciated the willingness of the staff to challenge our practices and discuss our vision as we ask what school could be like in our quest to deliver the best opportunities and the best programs for our students.  I truly believe exciting times are ahead for the whole school community.  I have received many kind words about my efforts over the past year and they are most appreciated.  But I didn't do it alone.  I was well supported by Carol, Jay-Ann, Sarah, Ms. Henderson, Mr. Pond, Ms. Foster, Ms. McBain, Mr. Clements, Ms. Rive, Joanna and the many parents who were able to support us up front and in the background. We teachers care a great deal about what we do and there is no better fuel for that fire than affirmation from an appreciative school community and the satisfaction that comes from a job well done.  So, thank you, everyone.
All packed up and ready for the next step


















Joanna asked that I post this for her:




Here are all the wonderful words and gifts you have all given me.  A beautiful still life reminding me of the good feelings I have from the year and how honoured I feel.  Thank-you everybody!

Joanna
Thank you, Joanna, for teaching me how to do this:
the piece I'm most proud of!


1 comment: