Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday, 10 June

PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE SHORTS AND RUNNERS (NOT FLATS OR SANDALS OR BOOTS) FOR EVERY P.E. CLASS FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR.  STUDENTS SHOULD EXPECT TO BE RUNNING IN SOME FORM EVERY DAY.

I am requesting two parent drivers to volunteer to drive the students who are going to the Chatelech orientation meeting.  I think one of the mums from Division One has already indicated she is available.  I will be staying with the Chatelech-bound students, and Mr. Pond will be going with the Elphi-bound students (they get a bus because there are so many more of them).  A consent form for both groups will go home tomorrow.

Also, please try to remember to bring $10 for art supplies as soon as you can.

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend.  Mine was quite busy with house guests here to see my eldest daughter in the Dance Academy's show at the Raven's Cry Theatre.  We began our day debriefing the class's most recent paragraph writing assignment.  Without a doubt, the most common writing flaw was run-on sentences, so we reviewed how to avoid them.  Many students commented that they will try to spice up their next piece of writing with some juicy words.  Others noted the need to more effectively employ transition words (signposts) to guide their readers through the twists and turns of their writing.  Here are the notes we created on the board:
Remember to follow the punctuation
recipe for things such as commas.
Next, the class went to band.  I noted that on this report card fine arts will again be separated into "art" (with Joanna) and "band" (with Mr. Grice).

After recess we read for for ten minutes and then started math.  In Math 7 I gave instruction in how to assess numbers in a set of numbers to see if there are any outliers.  We then started the practice set for Lesson 7.3: there is no homework today.

After lunch we read for 15 minutes and then began our inquiry work.  Goldney and Kiah volunteered to use some of their inquiry time to help prime the art "canvasses."  Thanks, girls.  The inquiry projects are due to be finished at the end of Monday, 17 June.  The 7s have their secondary school orientations that day, so the 6s will have one extra class day to work on their projects.  That might be time used to practice the presentations so we get fewer students "reading" their presentations.

We ended the day with some running.  We each also tried to do one chin-up/pull-up.  We'll be doing more of that sort of thing as we get ready for the year-end fitness test.

Tomorrow I will be giving a French pre-test and on Wednesday, after art, we'll have the real test.  Remember to study your notes (or, check the notes posted to the blog - all test questions will be things we've practiced in class).


9 comments:

  1. Hello. I am doing my second comment on my passion inquiry-and so far so good. I've done my powerpoint, and its finished, so now I just need to remember what I'm doing, and practice. I am having lots of fun learning about quantum physics/mechanics, which is still a surprise to me, even now. I hope that the class will understand the concepts, and am very hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my second comment to follow up how my passion inquiry is going. I've finished the meat of my project, so all that's left is do a few finishing touches. Last but not certainly not least, PRACTICE!!!!! I enjoy learning new things about the different moves of volleyball and am excited to present sometime this week hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I forgot to ask if the french test is oral or written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goldney, the French test is written, but includes both reading and listening.

      Delete
  4. this is my comment on my passion inquiry. it is going well, and it is on what genetically modified food is (gmo). it is very interesting because gmo food causes cancer, but most non-organic foods are gmo and will continue to be gmo, even though it is bad for us.
    and even some organic foods are gmo, and the worst part is that they don't label it if it is gmo.

    Arif

    ReplyDelete
  5. My passion inquiry is going extremely well. I am almost done. This is my second blog comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My passion inquiry is going pretty well I still have allot to do though because I'm only a little bit more than half done so I'm going to have to work on it allot over the weekend but I think that its going good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My passion inquiry is going pretty well. I am about half way done I am trying to work every chance I get in class. This is my second blog comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments, everyone. Remember the criteria was to write about five sentences each time. Ask yourself how the process is working: what is allowing you to be successful? What is frustrating? What are you learning about your learning? What will you do the same next time? What will you do differently? Who is helping you (who are you helping)?

    ReplyDelete