Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuesday, 21 May

First, thanks for remembering to bring in the money for the Grade 7 trip to Vancouver.  Only two people have still to pay (and they weren't in class today).   When we consider that we just had a long weekend, I find that quite remarkable!  The weather will have to be considered when dressing for tomorrow's activities.  
1. Remember we are meeting at the transit bus stop at Langdale at 7:50 a.m. tomorrow.
2. Bring lunch AND a water bottle.
3. Wear your pink "Acceptance" t-shirt or a white t-shirt.
4. Proper footwear (no sandals) AND bike helmet.
5. Rain gear.
6. Garbage bag to waterproof your backpack.

The ferry should be back at Langdale for a 6:30 p.m. pick-up of the students by their parents.

Grade 6 students will work with Ms. Rive on inquiry, go to math, and have p.e.



We began the day with a review of last day's French lesson and then we learned some new words.  I emphasized the way we change articles depending on the gender of the noun.


We ended the block by asking what is "social revolution" and then watching this video.  The imagery in the video was engaging, but it was the connection to memory that I found interesting.  We're left wonder where it is all going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczkikAgAVE










After recess we read for ten minutes and then transitioned to math. In Math 7 I did a short review and then gave the instruction for the final lesson, 6.5: using different methods to solve equations.  The challenging part about the word problems is to be able to visualize what is being described, and then to determine what part of the story is "unknown" and should be represented by the "variable."  Here are some board notes:
Extra question - not in text







After lunch we read for 15 minutes and then worked on our socials inquiry projects.  This was the last in-class period for the grade 7s; the grade 6s will have their last in-class block tomorrow.  Students should be able to present any time after tomorrow.

We have our first two donations for the gift basket raffle prize: dish clothes and a set of three graters; thank you.


2 comments:

  1. Back in September, when the school started, it was all new to me. New people, a new school and old friends. After all my and I left out old school, most of us came here. When I first entered Mr.. marshall,s class I was the new girl , shy and quiet. Weeks later I was still shy but more stable and got into the swing of the things. Then we were asked to do a report on remembers day. Later we started learning about Egypt and our first inquiry. Later we did a fitness test push-ups, curl-ups and running. After we went on a snowshoe trip and a cabin overnight trip. Though there was so much snow it was fun. Now was here socials inquiry. Grade 7 leaving soon. I’m exited to be a grade 7. I think it will be a good year next year not because I’ll a leader but because I’ll be one year less to being in high school. Next year will be exiting and I can’t wait to see what it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sophia, this year has involved many changes for you but you've come through it all marvelously. I'm happy to hear that you're excited about the promise that next year will bring. I love the way you closed your paragraph; it sounds so you (so positive)!

    ReplyDelete