Friday, May 31, 2013

Happy Friday and welcome June: 31 May

At the bottom of this post, I've included some Math 7 practice questions.  I've put the ANSWERS on yesterday's post.

On Monday at 9:00 we'll welcome the Elphi jazz band in the gym.  Bring your instruments for band class just in case.


We began our day with two number games in French.  They helped us review our numbers and colours.  Yesterday I was at a meeting with other elementary teachers hosted by Ms. Thomson (from our school) and I had the chance to hear about some of the activities others are doing in French class.  Today's lesson was prep work for Uno, a game I just learned but that the students are probably familiar with.

Next, we had a discussion started with this prompt: "How could I make a difference in the world, today?  Later, we watched a video from the Life Vest Inside organization.  Here is the link: http://lifevestinside.com/ You might like to have a look.

After recess we read for ten minutes and then began math.  In Math 7 we continued to practice creating equations from area problems in preparation for Monday's unit test.  Here are some notes:





During lunch, some of our students participated in the Bike Week Tour de Roberts Creek.  After lunch we read and worked on our passion inquiries.  Students have started to add reflective comments to the blog on the passion inquiry process (see below).  Next, we listened to Hannah and Amber share their presentation.  Here is a pic:

Enjoy your weekends and parents, don't forget about the Spring Fling fundraiser on Saturday night at the Hall.
I am going to try to make an appearance, but Saturday is the Army Cadets big year-end event.



Here is the Math 7 practice test (answers on yesterday's post):
Practice test - 1
Practice test - 2
Practice test - 3
Practice test - 4
Practice test - 5

13 comments:

  1. My passion inquiry is going good. I am at least getting one slide done a day. I am finding some facts that I didn't know before and also ones that I already new. I find almost everything enjoyable because I am doing a subject I really wanted to do. I also haven't encoutered any difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My passion inquiry is going well so far. I am finding it easier now that i have done a lot of inquirys. i am doing my inquiry on lacrosse. My question is what has been the biggest advancement in the history of lacrosse? I chose to do my topic on lacrosse because I really like lacrosse. So far i have not encountered any difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My passion inquiry is on skiing. My question is what have been the biggest advancements in skiing. I chose skiing because i love to do it and it has a really long history. I enjoy learning about skiing but it's a hard topic to research on. My favourite part about my passion inquiry is finding information and pictures of famous skiers like Tanner Hall. If I could change one thing about my passion inquiry it would be the lack of information on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My passion inquiry is going pretty good but I'm finding that I'm having a little bit of trouble finding some information like what types of equipment free divers use and things like that but other wise I think its going good. I am also very amazed at how far people can go under the oceans surface without an air tank. I enjoy working on my inquiry and cant wait to find out more about free diving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far my inquiry is going very well. I am doing mine on soccer. I find it much easier because I have done a lot of inquirys and because I am interested in soccer rather than doing one on something I don't really care to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far my passion inquiry has been going really well. I really enjoy learning about a subject that I am interested in. I did have a little bit of trouble picking a question for my inquiry but other than that I have not had any major difficulties with my inquiry. My question is, How Has The Design Of The Soccer Ball Changed Over Time I chose this question because I am interested in soccer and the soccer ball. I thought that it may be hard to find answers for this question but I was wrong, there is lots of information on my topic which is great. Overall I am excited to be learning about something I am truly interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My passion inquiry question is "How does observation effect matter", and there haven't been many difficulties. Its really cool to learn about quantum theory, but the big difficulty I'm facing is trying to get the rest of the class to understand it. I think that if I can get people to figure out the concept, it might help them in grade 12, but I don't think it will get through to that many people. I'm excited to present something like this, and hope that by the end of it, I'll have some more info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far I think my passion inquiry is going very well. I got off to a rough start but now that I have my topic things are gong much better. I am pretty happy with the topic I picked but I am sure that if I had more time I would have come up with a better one. I am happy to get lots of work done and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My passion inquiry process is going well. I'm finding myself actually wanting to work hard, and get to it. As a result I got 8 slides done in three days. I'm constantly thinking about how to show it, and coming up with different mediums every day! I'm excited to wrap up the year with something I love which, is volleyball. Looking forward to the presentation date!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My passion inquiry is so far so good, I found something very interesting from a book from the library. My question about the inquiry is "Will our country have a powerful navy just like other countries?" I am researching something from "The Mega Book Of Fighting Ships". So far I got the kinds, a little bit of countries that have the most powerful navies in the world, their armament, and their power plants even ones from the 20th century. I will look at other books or websites too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My passion inquiry is on ballet and my questions is what makes ballet timeless. I think my project is going pretty well i have found a lot of interesting facts that i never new before. I have 11 slides and am doing about half a slide a day and think its going good. I really like my topic and am really enjoying learning more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So far my passion inquiry on dark matter is going very well. I'm working hard since I took a little longer than I needed to decide for a topic, but then after I decided for a vast topic, Outer space, Nicholas (Thank you!) narrowed it down to Dark Matter. I find Dark Matter very intriguing, and I'm learning lots about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My passion inquiry is going good.I think my question is pretty good. I've got lots of facts that I never new before. I think i am getting 1 slide a day. My topic is good and I have enjoyed finding lots of info on my topic.

    ReplyDelete