Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday, 27 February

Well, my computer is still on the Dark Side, so I'm forced to get more adept at blogging with my iPad.  We started the day by reading Chapter 18 in the Ostia novel and then we got right to learning about iMovie with guest artist, Paula O'Brien.  The class was very interested in what she shared and they were extremely courteous in their behaviour.  Well done guys.  Now we will have to take time to play with the program as we gain proficiency.

During recess we had fun bringing awareness to Pink Shirt (bullying awareness) Day by participating in flash mobs on the field.  I was shocked at how easy it was to get students to follow me; I just yelled out, "Who wants to be in my movie," and ran with my iPad.  I was also surprised to find out what a poor dancer I am.  Honestly, when I was younger, I was good!

After recess we enjoyed pink cupcakes that Gage made (he got up early this morning to ice them so they'd be perfect).  Way to go Gage - a great display of class spirt!  Next we did math.  In Math 7 we did the problem set on pp183-5.  Emily was already done so she watched a YouTube video in order to figure out how to save files in iMovie.  I think most people were able to finish their math before the bell.  Tomorrow we'll be able to get right to the next problem set because we've already learned how to add factions with dissimilar denominators.

After lunch, two students from Mr. Pond's class shared a video they composed on the Amanda Todd story.  They also gave a short talk.  I was very impressed that they chose to take their convictions and translate them into action.  Next we had a good discussion about bullying, a word that many feel is over-used.  We watched two short video clips that helped to illuminate the issue of acceptance and of empathy.
Susan Boyle: appearances
Empathy and leadership on the court

We ended the day with some person hunt in the forest.  Oh, and I learned where the front of the school is.

Please remember your instruments tomorrow and please try to get your outdoor trip forms in to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment