Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday, 1 February

The kids tease me about how I say Tuesday ("tew"sday vs, "2"sday) so I am imagining they'll have a field day when I pronounce the first "r" in February.  Regardless, WOW, another month completed.  Is it just me or is this year flying by?

Logon for practice FSA test

We began the day by looking at the FSA reading format.  Both the School Board and the BCTF have sent home information on these tests and I explained to the students that this is a political discussion rooted in differing views about the assessment of learning and that I couldn't/wouldn't discuss it much beyond that.  I won't be spending much class time "prepping" the students for the tests, but I am going over the format of the test because it is much the same as the format for the provincial exam they will write in grades 10 and 12.  I also gave a lesson on poetry and showed some strategies for reading it.  We answered some practice questions just so the students could see "how they would have done."

p.113, #6


After recess Mrs. Rive supervised the class during their personal novel reading, I had a meeting with some of the educational support staff.  We transitioned to math at 11:00 where the 7's got the second half of their percents lesson and then quickly got to work on the problem set.  Everyone finished early and this puts us in good stead to do a practice set that includes word problems, on Tuesday.  There is no math homework for the 7s.  There will be no math on Monday because we are all meeting a visiting author (Susin Nielsen, author of Word Nerd, one of the books some students read as a part of the "Coast Reads" initiative) during the normal math block.

At lunch we had our weekly grade 7 planning committee meeting in Mr. Pond's room.  Some of the students mentioned that they think they need to tweek the committee process because of a perception that not enough is getting done.  From my perspective, the process has been quite professional: the repetition is a natural part of the consultative process; I also understand that things might not seem to be moving quickly enough from a grade 7 student's perspective.

After lunch we worked with our little buddies in Ms. L's class for 40 minutes and then shifted to personal research for our Egypt inquiry projects.  The class was much better at getting to work today.  I was able to sit 1:1 with some students and help them puzzle through the process; it was a nice opportunity to personalize the learning.  We ended the day with p.e which was yoga with Nicky.  I felt like I was about 1,000,000 years old as my arthritic, semi-rigid joints tried to comply with the instructions I was given.  It was a great experience, and while some students were too chatty and silly, I'm assuming that that was just nerves and that our next session, two weeks from today, will go smoother for all.  It was nice to have to put myself out there and struggle a bit publicly in the way we teachers ask students to do every day.

Remember that Monday is band, and everyday is Egypt research day.

Author visit 11:00 - 12:00 Monday.

See yesterday's post regarding the Feb 19 parents meeting regarding the Tet trip that will occur after spring break..

No comments:

Post a Comment