Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday, 22 February

We began the day composing a paragraph on one of the themes that is emerging in the Ostia novel.  It's been a while since I've asked the students to sit and write and I was pleased with the focus and quiet determination in the room.  In the past, I've been available to help in the process of their writing, but today I asked that they fly solo.  When they finished, they started to compose a summary of their learning in science this term.  (See below for an explanation of some of the differences in the assessment practices I've used this term and why I've used them).  

After recess we moved on to Math.  The 7s gathered round as I manipulated the fraction models and soon they were identifying equivalent fractions and showed they were ready for the practice set on pages 179-80.  Some students found it easier to ignore the models and just think symbolically with numerals and others had difficulty unless they used the models.  I tried to encourage both groups to experience the questions both ways because I think it will deepen their learning.  That should be completed for homework as we will be starting a new lesson on Monday.


Now that's service!
After lunch we heard the final Egypt presentations.  I thought the class members were mostly supportive of their peers, but we need to remember to be more quiet as people are getting ready to present as excessive noise can be unsettling.  We had a visit by a pharaoh and that brought the house down.

We ended the day with a reflection of our work over the term.  I asked students to make a brief comment on each course.  It was a long day with lots of writing, but folks did very well and succeeded in completing a lot of work.  Thanks, everyone and have a good weekend.


Monday is GARBOLOGY DAY - an Earth Day activity for the whole school that is being facilitated by SD 46 teacher, Seona Dalgleish.


Wednesday is Pink Shirt Day.

Please remember to return you snowshoe trip forms asap.

3 comments:

  1. When do you want the Science summary in by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I forgot my notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it on Monday; I hope to be able to give you a bit of time, but it's Garbology Day.

    ReplyDelete