Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday, 10 January

Today began with some personal reading before an introductory visit from Mrs. Rive, our new principal.  The students commented that she seemed very nice and I agree.  After her visit, we did a short cursive writing practice.  I can already see an improvement over yesterday; you are all very coachable: you listen to my comments on your style and incorporate my suggestions into your practice.  Yesterday, the majority of you were making your lower-case letters too tall; today that problem had almost disappeared.  Band started at 09:40 but I noticed that a few students were sent to wait in the office during band because they forgot their instruments.  Please be more responsible on Monday.
Count the digits after the decimals in the
factors; put the decimal in front of that many
decimals in the product (the answer).

Solution to 2.a) on page 102
After recess we had a book talk with Ms. Taggert; she always makes the books sound so interesting.  We will be finishing Egypt soon in socials and there is a good selection of novels set in ancient Rome that I want to use for our next literature circles activity.  I was pleased with the way you all conducted yourselves in the library.  We then transitioned from the library to math.  The 7s worked on the problem set associated with multiplying decimal fractions that comes on pages 102 - 103.  We started yesterday; #6 should be completed for homework.

After lunch we completed our songs in science and then three of the four groups performed them.  We had a lot of fun.  I recorded them on my iPad and then we watched ourselves and had even more fun.  The quality of the singing is a matter of taste, but there is no question about the quality of the lyrics.  I think it's safe to say that after the reading, the dancing, the discussion and the singing that it will be a while before we forget about the water cycle.  Next we watched two of six parts of an hour-long BBC documentary on the construction of the pyramids.  The bullet points that students developed while viewing were right on target.  I was pleased with the class's engagement.  Finally we voted to do p.e. in the gym and after a short but intense warm-up, have one last game of dodge ball.  Thanks Emily, Goldney and Mia for getting me out so quickly (again).  I'm noticing a trend here.....

Thanks for another great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment