Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday, December 17

Goldney's Advent calendar

First, here's another calendar.  Goldney actually e-mailed hers first, but I forgot to post it last week when I posted the ones I photographed in class - sorry, Goldney.

Today we began with an exercise saying numbers in French, but doing them backwards (to counteract mere rote memorization).  That only lasted for a short while and then we met with the other classes to sing Christmas carols in the hallway.  A few students didn't want to sing, so they worked quietly in the class with me.  When we returned from singing, we continued with French numbers 0-100.  We started with skip-counting by tens, then learned how to say 21, 31, 41 etc.  We were then able to fill in the blanks.  The class members are quite good at their oral work in French - I always see lots of good participation.

After recess we went up to the gym to listen to the Elphinstone grade 8 band.  Most students were able to sit and listen respectfully, thanks.  Afterwords we returned to class to do math.  Mr. Brown's 6s stayed with us as we looked at comparing common fractions (ex. 3/4) with decimal fractions (ex. 0.75) and even percentages (ex. 67%).  We looked at how we can change the shape of a fraction (for example by multiplying by 1) in order to make comparison easier.  There is no math homework.

We returned from lunch and read for 20 minutes and then I we used a TED Talk to discuss advances in technology (science) and to discuss how our body language can not only affect others but can also affect our minds!  This is especially important for girls who commonly display defensive postures and take a back seat to boys during discussions.  We now all know a strategy to deal with test anxiety - cool.

Pranav Mistry: The SixthSense - merging the digital world with the physical world

Amy Cuddy: The effect of body language on how we think

Please remember your homework is to post a comment to today's blog and comment on ONE of the TED Talks we discussed.

We ended the day working independently to either finish our Christmas concert art or complete our push-ups for the fitness test.

Don't forget to dress up in your sports attire for tomorrow's Mr. Richey celebration.  
ALSO, if you're playing soccer at lunch, remember your runners.

Finally, here is a message I received from Thane - hi Thane:


Hi Everyone!

I finished my first week of school up at the ski hill. The highlight of my week at school was an awesome snowshoeing trip we went on Thursday afternoon. The highlight of my week on the hill was skiing on Friday in fresh powder after it snowed all night here.

When we arrived, the snow base was 76cm. It's 142cm now, just over one week later. The forecast is calling for another 15-20cm tonight. I won't get to enjoy it tomorrow because our school days are longer and the lifts will be closed when school gets out. There is no night skiing on Sunday or Monday, but I'll get out there Tuesday after school. 

I am the only Grade 7 student at Big White School. There are 13 kids in my class including me. Grade 4's to Grade 9's. We have longer days, but we only go to school Monday to Thursday. The school has 2 classrooms and a computer lab. The basement is a huge gym. 

Next time I e-mail I will try to send pictures. See you soon.

Thane




23 comments:

  1. The second T.E.D talk realy made me think more about my posture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mind can change our body, but can our body change our mind? That was Amy Cuddy's question at her TED talk. Usually when you feel like you have power or dominance you make yourself big or spread out. For instance, You just won a race or a soccer game. You tend to swing your arms up in happiness because you won against another team or person. That's a sign of power or confidence. Whereas if you feel insecure or shy you might curl your knees into your chest. Another thing to think about is if you look how you feel. If you are scared or nervous but don't show it your doing a good job of the saying "fake it 'til you make it". But if you show your emotions in body language you will come across with an uneasy vibe. To wrap it up I'll comment on my topic sentence. Yes our bodies can change our mind. If you look insecure you will be insecure. If you look powerful you will be powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose to post about the first Talk (The Sixth Sense)
    I thought that his ideas were brilliant and yet so simple. If that was the top of the world of computer science back in 2009 i cant imagine what is being deciphered in Apple and Microsoft factories today. I think the only change that have been made in some of the new models is efficiency and if that keeps happening i think that people will make a new time system based around technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along with Gus, I too thought his ideas were brilliant. It was fascinating at how he made all that technology from just starting with examining how a mouse worked. Now you would go to Apple, and you would already see it in boxes to replace the iPad. It is very neat at how a camera and things that go on the fingers, you can make the wall a laptop or iPad or your hand a phone (Was it supposed to be a calculator or cellphone?) Technology has gone far. From just using rocks and sticks to make spears to making iPads and other things in just a 20-30 year time span, maybe even less. Who knows how far it'll go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "From just using rocks and sticks to make spears to making iPads and other things in just a 20-30 year time span, maybe even less. Who knows how far it'll go?"

      I didn't mean they went from spears to iPads in 20-30 years... I meant that from huge computers to iPads in a small amount of time, While you look at how long it took to go from spears to other things.

      Delete
  5. I think I'll use the power-pose just before I go in a class at a horse show:) And I'm not exactly sure if I did mine right. I didn't really make a comment I just wrote what my notes said...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose to talk about the first talk.
    I think that it is pretty amazing that Pranav Mistry was able to do what he could with technology, and all he needed to start with was an idea and a mouse. I noticed that the whole class was amazed at the start of the video When he first started with it, but by the end. Wow. They said that it was top of the world in computer science in 2009. So its hard to imagine what they have in factories now. 30 years ago computers had only just started. I can't even think of what they'll have in another 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that its really amazing what pranav mistry can do with technolgy.
    aka javen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did my comment on the first video.

    I thought it was pretty interesting that Pranav Mistry was able to make a glove like thing that would copy whatever he did with his hand in the real world and come up as a virtual hand on a computer screen. But I think the most interesting thing was that he made the glove like thing out of two computer mice, some pulleys, the metal hand and string.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think that the first video was really interesting because he made the objects in real life into technology. i think that it would be cool if you could just call someone on your hand or check the weather on someone's back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My comment is on the first TED talk.
    I thought that it was quite amazing how Pranav Mistry took the rollers from his mouse and his friend’s mouse to create a robotic hand. And also, how he created a table he could place his daily objects on to find out information about them. But I thought his system of the colored finger caps and being able to compute on any surface, have your hand be a phone, and take pictures by creating a picture frame with your fingers was the most revolutionary of all his inventions. It is amazing to think that his invention was in 2009; it was over a span of only about thirty years that we have seen technology increases of computing power and speed, as well as significant decreases in size and price. Imagine what technologies there will be in the next thirty years.
    Arif

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the power poses were a pretty cool idea to do before a test, activity e.t.c... When you feel a Power of dominance you will make your self bigger and more spread out. You showed us a picture of someone after winning a race and his hands were up in the air above his head and his chin was lifted up, ever if you had never seen anyone do that after a race you mite still do it because of the feeling of dominace. If you look powerful you will be powerful if you feel defeated you will look defeated.
    When your feeling nervous or Embarassed most people will pull them selfs in the make them look smaller or cross there arms over there chest.
    As she said if your feelin nervouse then fake it till you make it, I found the story she told us vary intrestig and all remember that in the future.


    ReplyDelete
  12. I did my comment on the second video.
    I find it amazing how just your posture can change you from being powerful or deafeated,or even change you. It makes me think,if you can fake it until you become it, anybody could become anyting right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I forgot to say I did it on video 2

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the second TED talk was very informative. It is very interesting how your mind can change your body this is what Amy Cuddy explained to us. This technique will be useful for people going into a stressful situation, so when your heading into something scary/sterssful sitrike a power pose for 2 mins and your set to go. I think I will deffinitly use this when i'm heading to a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mackenzie, I think you meant to say, "ones's body can change one's mind." Our posture was shown to affect the production of the hormones testosterone (power) and cortisol (stress).

      Delete
  15. I did my report on video 1 because i thought it was very cool. I like how he took fisicle obgect and turned it into a digital object.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m doing my comment on the second video. (body positions)
    I really liked Amy Cuddy’s talk about how your body/facial positions affect not only other peoples moods or judgements of you but also affects how you think about yourself. What also was interesting to me was the part about how peoples body positions complement each other, for instance, if I feel very powerful and spread out, then its most likely that whoever I’m with will adopt a low power pose. However, the part that probably surprised me the most was when she said that the people who participate more, generally have the most Testosterone and frequently adopt power poses, while people who participate the least usually have lots of cortisol and adopt low power poses.

    P.S. Hello thane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i chose to do the second TED talk video. I found it interesting that Amy Cuddy said that people learn to trust each other by there boby postre. Also if you look powerful you will feel powerful and it you look sad you will feel sad. Amy Cuddy said that women espially feel like they have no power. I think that people should follow Amy Cuddy's advice and act powerful till you feel powerful "fake it till you make it". Also think people should think about there body posture more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My blog post is on the second video:
    Can our bodies change our minds? What I found out from watching this video is, that it can in fact change the way we feel about approching an activity. You can change the way you project yourself, and the way other people read your body language. By using your nonverbal communication, like making yourself big, you can change your own feelings, and others.

    - Saleah

    ReplyDelete
  19. My post is on the first video:
    I found it interesting that you could make a motion device using only two mouses and that he created a way to have the digital world in the physical world while using your hands to control what you wanted to do from taking pictures by making a frame out of your hands to writing on a sticky note with it also writing on his computer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked what this inventor had to show about using digital things in our world - for example paper to watch movies and play video games, and newspapers to watch the news for real. This would be so important in our lives because we could use this technology anywhere, and it could be used by anyone. The inventor also said it would help people because it wouldn't cost a lot of money, and it could help people who couldn't speak. These people would have better lives.
    This technology would be awesome to use for projects, like taking pictures, copying things, and using videos for your work. It would definitely be less space to take work and projects in your backpack.
    My favorite part was how you could take pictures by framing your hand. You wouldn't worry about forgetting your camera at home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I forgot to say that I was commenting on the first TED Talks video.

    ReplyDelete