Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday, 27 September

Thank you to all those who took time out to visit the class last night for the "meet the creature" parent meeting.  Please remember that I welcome contact with the students' homes, so don't feel shy to e-mail me or visit me if you'd like to chat or if you have a more serious concern.  I generally don't need lots of advance notice to meet and welcome your inquiries.

Today we began with the retest for the parts of speech unit and then we rushed off to band.  Some students are getting frustrated because the class has not yet begun to play their instruments.  Students, please ensure you all remember to bring your instruments AND your folders to the next class on Monday.

After recess we did the Terry Fox Run.  It became apparent that I should have delayed the retest because we were a bit rushed/uncoordinated as we worked to get the event rolling. I take full responsibility and would like to thank all those who worked hard to make the event a success.  A big shout out to Kelly Backs and his small crew of parent volunteers who facilitated the hot dog sale - it was a big success.  The fundraising committee suggests that we may have beaten our $500 fundraising goal for the Terry Fox Foundation - all profits from the snack bar go to cancer research.

After lunch we did an outside clean up and then had a talking circle to address some pressing classroom issues.  I thought some people were very strong to share how they were feeling and although everyone wasn't able to listen respectfully all of the time, everyone was able to do so most of the time.

Tomorrow is the last day to bring in the money for the Class of 2013 hoodie order.  The following students need to bring in their forms and their cheques: Kiah, Saleah, Bowen and Avery.

Please keep reading your novels - 10 pages a day is a good target.

Next Tuesday, Joanna Enga will begin our drawing instruction in Art, from 12:45 - 1:45.  Please thank her if you see her, because now the students will have a chance at developing some real skill.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Marshall,

    I just thought that I'd let you know how lucky I think Robert's Creek Elementary is to have you as a teacher this year! I'm wishing you a very successful year and will continue to check in on your classroom blog. What a useful and progressive tool this is for your students and their families.

    Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Parents

    My name is Aideen clery, parent of Gr.6 Hannah clery in Mr Marshall's class.

    During our meet the teacher event last week, I offered to collect parents tel# & emails in order to have a way that we can quickly distribute information. This could be a really efficient way to communicate, hopefully.

    Should you wish to be part of this list, please email me with pemission to include you in future emails and provide a tel# also if possible. My email aideen1433@gmail.com

    Unfortunately, some of the names on the list from last week are difficult to read. (Mr. Marshall is revisiting cursive writing this week.......I joke as people in glass houses etc..... )so I may have to phone some of you for clarification.

    Warm regards
    Aideen

    ReplyDelete