Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday, 7 March

Today, we began by selecting the production teams for our film projects.  It would have been easy for me to select the teams, and that is what some students wanted to happen, but I thought it would be better for us to take individual ownership of the process.  In the past, some students have been made to feel left out during the selection of groups.  Other students have been unwilling to venture outside of their comfort zones and so have always worked with their close friends.  My goal this time was to have mixed-gender groups formed in such a way that everyone in class felt included.  It took an hour, but I think we achieved that.  I'd like to thank those girls who took a leap and were first to volunteer to leave their groups when the class met an impasse.  It is sometimes difficult to satisfy our need to be a team player and still keep ourselves content.  I didn't want to create any martyrs, but there are occasions in life when someone has to be the first to budge.  I hope you feel this was a good learning opportunity - I do.

Next the class had band.  Mr. Grice had to take time to complete his remaining 1:1 music tests.

After recess we did math.  The 7s had a quick lesson on subtracting mixed numbers and then got right to work.  I've been very pleased with the work ethic in math for the past number of weeks.  There is very little wasted time and lots of cooperation as students support one another during their practice sets.  This model has allowed me great flexibility to work 1:1 or in small groups.  I have really been enjoying math, and look forward to it every day.  Most people were going to try to complete the problem set on pp. 207-208 for homework.

After lunch I shared some information about food selection for the snowshoe trips.  I talked about go food, grow food, and glow food.  I find this a more meaningful way to discuss carbohydrates, proteins, fats and "treats."  We discussed the types of menu choices that would fit into each category and what specific meal choices could be.  I espoused the virtue of the bagel as the perfect backpack food and instant oatmeal as my preferred backcountry breakfast.  Nevertheless, please remember that you have to eat it, so my spartan menu choices might not be best for you.

We ended the day with some volleyball in the gym.  Thanks for another good day.

Tomorrow I've booked the computers so we can a) write a character sketch; b) do some science inquiry; and, c) play with iMovie in preparation for our editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment